In a nutshell: Ex Loo turns Spanish restaurant in Bethnal Green.
Summing it all up: Expect Spanish beach-bar vibes as well as an impressive rooftop space from Chiringuito in Bethnal Green. And big Gin Tonics too, of course. All in what used to be a public loo.
All over London, we've been seeing ex public loos getting impressive makeovers - and now it's the turn of Bethnal Green. There, the loos are becoming Chiringuito, a Spanish restaurant that is going for a beachfront vibe (as much as you can in Bethnal Green, that is).
The menu is bring looked after by chef Peruvian chef Marco Padilla who's giving things a Latin American twist, which as well as including the standards padron peppers, patatas bravas, and gambas al ajillo, also includes:
- Manchego with honey & fig
- Fish tacos: Grilled swordfish with sauco (elderberry jam)
- Roast pork belly in pisco and beer sauce with red Peruvian chillies
- Pizza - Roast tomato, spinach, with chorizo or garlic mushroom
- Jalea mixta - Seafood basket of prawns, mussels, calmari battered and fried w/ criolla and tartare
- Chiringuito fish & chips - Fish tacos w/ yuca chips
- Lomo soltado - Beef medallions sauteed in soy an oyster sauce w/ white wine on a primavera risotto (mushroom, mixed peppers, asparagus)
- Sunday roasts - Choice of pork, beef, chicken. All served with (sweet) patatas bravas and mixed roast vegetables
As for booze, huge gin and tonics are the order of the day, of course, alongside more cocktails, cava and Spanish wines.
And the transformation from the loo to restaurant has meant a bright and airy building has been created and, most importantly, with a rooftop to drink your Gin Tonics and cava on, with views across the park. Opening just as summer really kicks off, we think that'll be a big draw here.
More about Chiringuito
Where is it? Museum Gardens, Cambridge Heath Road, London, E2 9PA
When does it open? 1 August 2018
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners