Chef Ben Spalding, who many will remember for being the person who persuaded us to lick bricks when he took over the kitchens at John Salt in Islington, is going to be taking over the kitchens at the London Fields venue The Laundry. And if any of his pop-ups have shown, this is going to be worth trying out.
Spalding will be running the canteen at The Laundry for a month from tomorrow, but apparently there's a chance to extend the residency further. We've had a look at the menus he has planned, and they sound pretty amazing.
"The month long residency is a chance to trial a concept similar to what was done at John Salt," explains Ben, "but in my eyes the food and our approach here will be showing more maturity, more flavour, more restraint and with a better grounding, all in a beautiful venue."
Lunch dishes (Monday to Saturday) include:
- Black Leg chicken broth, crispy skin, flaked thigh & breast, sand carrot string & rice noodles £9
- Wrap filled with spiced Longhorn beef, tarragon sour cream, orange marmalade & lettuce £7
- 3 seaweed broth, crispy yaki nori, sand carrot string, rice noodles £7
- Warm whipped & salted milk chocolate, dill ice cream, Del Monte pineapple & toasted hazelnuts £8
For dinner (Tuesday to Thursday) expect:
- Poached & roasted Pink Fir potatoes, apricot crème fraiche, sprout leaves, hotdog onions & ‘Holy Fuck’ sauce £9
- Fried & runny Burford Brown egg, toasted cashews, medjool dates, fennel, 14 month old kimchi, & raw smoked honey £9
- Hen of the woods, button mushroom cream & crumbs,lemon grass & granny smith puree £12
- And we like the sound of his take on the trad Victoria Sponge - whipped Victoria Sponge cake, jersey milk ice-cream, strawberry jam
On Friday and Saturday there'll be a four (£29) and seven course (£49) tasting menu on offer. The Laundry will also be open for breakfast from Monday to Saturday and there'll be a Sunday roast on too.
Ben Spalding will be at The Laundry at 2-18 Warburton Road, London E8 3FN from 4 February to end March 2015. There'll be a soft launch running from 3-5 February with 50% off all food bills. To reserve, email reservations@thelaundryE8.com or call 020 8986 0738