We gave their delivery kit a Test Drive late last year and now The Barbary Next Door is actually becoming a real life restaurant.
It's taking over what was Jacob The Angel, which is of course right next door to The Barbary. As opposed to the previous cafe, it's now being billed as an all-day neighbourhood-style restaurant and wine bar.
It'll be open all day with their North African pastries on sale throughout. There will be ktefa, brick pastry layered with crème anglaise and ras-el-hanout pumpkin bread - as well as maaqooda, a Moroccan tortilla. There will even be a Barbary Bloody Mary (maybe more of a weekend thing, that).
As for the evening meal, that includes:
- Frena, a fluffy pita-style bread, topped with anchovies
- Barbary bread dips and salads including Matbucha (a thick tomato sauce) and fava beans with chopped onion and egg
- Blood orange and grapefruit salad with fennel and tarragon
- Mackerel fricassee; raw sea bass with cherry coriander salad, lime yoghurt
- Oysters served with harissa oil
- Chicken pastilla, a chicken filo pie dusted with cinnamon and icing sugar
- Tagines, including oxtail, vegetable or chicken
And for dessert, there will be Barbary favourites including marzipan cigars and the famed hashpot, a pistachio crème diplomat.
The wine list is looked after by sommelier Honey Spencer and will focus on organic wines from Old World regions, including Guerrouaine Blanc “Les Trois Domaines” 2018, a Morrocan Sauvignon Blanc.
And if you're still missing Jacob the Angel after all that - it's not end of that cafe either. It's planning to open in a new location - we'll have news of that soon.
More about The Barbary Next Door
Where is it? 16A Neal's Yard, London WC2H 9DP
When does it open? 30 October 2021
Photos by Georgia Rudd
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners