The team behind Berber & Q, Brothers Josh and Paul Katz and Mattia Bianchi, are getting ready to open a new restaurant in Queen's Park. Carmel will be both a bit of a departure from what came before, but still with a touch of inspiration from North Africa and the Eastern Mediterranean. It's arriving on Lonsdale Road, just done the road from the excellent Milk Beach.
This time, it's an all-day restaurant with things kicking off for a breakfast that includes challah French toast with crème fraiche, blackberry compote and macadamia - one more to add to London's love of French toast. Alongside that will be shakshuka with confit tomato, avocado, and tahini.
From lunch, they'll have Middle Eastern flatbreads with toppings including Spinach & Tulum Cheese, Sweetcorn & Goat Merguez and ‘Charred Leeks & Anchovy. They'll also be available to take away from a handy hatch.
Other dishes on the menu (with the larger plates only available in the evening) include:
- Blackened aubergine with tehina and smacked cucumber
- Roasted cod and clams with fennel, cherry tomatoes and arak butter
- Grilled harissa-marinated prawns with courgette tzatziki.
- Swaledale Tamworth pork chops served with confit garlic, preserved lemon and borlotti
- Sutton Hoo slow-grilled chicken from Sutton Hoo with curry-pickled radicchio and apricot glaze
- Sweet potato gnocchi with burnt aubergine, yoghurt and chilli butter or grilled leeks with green chermoula and saffron aioli
- Saffron rice pudding with blood orange ice cream
- Grilled pineapple with urfa chilli syrup & pomegranate.
Wines, with a list run by Mattia Bianchi, will focus on low-intervention. As for the look, there will be a long sharing table (echos of Berber & Q there) as well as counter seats overlooking the kitchen, alongside space for about 30 outside.
All in all, sounds like a very promising addition to the area.
More about Carmel
Where is it? Lonsdale Road, Queen’s Park NW6 6RR
When does it open? October 2021
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners