Before the lockdown, Mortimer House was already the host of a number of highly rated pop-ups and supperclubs. Now, as things inch back to normality, they're starting their residencies again, kicking off with Mao Chow.
Mao Chow had previously found fame at a Dalston pop-up before settling down permanently in London Fields. They were also apparently looking at a second site - but have paused that for the moment. Instead, they'll be taking over the Living Room and Den on the fifth floor of Mortimer House and - if the weather behaves - the terrace and balcony too.
The food is all about Szechuan Chinese cooking - and it's all vegan too. There will be exclusive new dishes for the residencies, including:
- Husband + Wife Celeriac, braised celeriac with pickled chillies, toasted rice powder,
- Roujiamo, cumin mushrooms and green chilli dip encased in a Xi’an flatbread
- Lijiang Rice Sausage, with crispy greens and chili oil
- Dongpo Tofu – braised tofu with spicy and aromatic ginger sauce with jasmine rice
- Xiao Mian, numbing oil and garlic noodles with tempeh and chickpeas.
Here's what Julian of Mao Chow says:
We're stoked to be bringing Mao Chow to Mortimer House in August. We're going to be serving up an extension of what we do in our Hackney spot - firey flavours and loud music. We're excited to open in a new part of town and meet some new people and serve some delicious food.
More about Mao Chow at Mortimer House
Where is it? 37-41 Mortimer Street, London W1T 3JH
When does it run? 20-23 August 2020
How to book: Bookings open on 1 August 2020 on their website or call 020 7139 4499.
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners