After a huge revamp earlier this year, followed by a rave review by Fay Maschler, there's a lot going on at Momo at the moment. And now they've gone one step further, opening a separate cocktail bar downstairs, headed up by cocktail supremo Erik Lorincz.
Lorincz really made his name at the Savoy's American Bar, propelling it to the top space in the World's Best Bars list. He's teamed up with Momo's Mourad Mazouz (who also owns Sketch and Restaurant 404) for his own cocktail bar, Kwānt (pronounced "Quaint"), modelled as a 19th Century-style cocktail bar and lounge.
The bar promises to look very impressive, described by them as "subtly tropical decor which is reminiscent of an eccentric gentleman’s drawing room, furnished with light coloured Chesterfield sofas and wooden panelling." As with the restaurant above, the design will have references to African culture, all put together by top French-American interior Designer Bambi Sloan.
As for the drinks? There will be 24 on the menu (plus five non-alcoholic), many using herbs grown in-house. Here's a taste of what's on the menu:
- KWĀNT (£15) - Roku Gin mixed with St Germain elderflower liqueur, grapefruit juice and matcha tea served from tap.
- BELLSHOT (£15) - Absolut Elyx Vodka mixed with champagne and mushroom consommé.
- SUNFLOWER MARTINI (£14) - Hendrick’s Gin stirred with Cocchi Americano and Noilly Prat Dry Vermouth with Jerusalem artichokes.
- BARQUISIMENTO (£14) - Diplomatico Anejo Rum build with roasted buckwheat cordial, pimento dram and lapsang souchong kombucha.
- SANTIAGO (£15) - Matusalem Gran Reserva Rum 15 years old stirred with Muyu Chinotto Nero, coffee aroma and coconut water.
- MICHAEL & PETER (£15) - Michter’s Bourbon Whiskey with chesnut, Angostura Bitters and pecan nut.
- ALMOND OF MIRACLES (£14) - Ketel One Vodka, with oat milk, Oolong honey, Disaronno.
- STAFILIA (£15) - Metaxa 12 years old with fermented grape cordial, clear apple topped with soda water.
- REINA (£15) - Woodford Reserve Bourbon build with chocolate liqueur and Oloroso Sherry, Meo topped up with Fever-Tree Smoky Ginger Ale.
- MONKEY PUNCH (£14) - Monkey Shoulder Scotch mixed with calvados, oat milk zatar and soda water.
That's just a selection - and there are also vintage cocktails. So, for cocktail lovers, this looks like an essential pilgrimage - as one of London's best bartenders is properly back on the scene.
More about Kwānt
Where is it? Momo, 23-25 Heddon Street, London, W1B 4BH
When does it open? Open now (opened May 20, 2019)
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners