5/9/18 - updated with full details
What: Casa & Plaza Pastor
In a nutshell: Tacos in King’s Cross from El Pastor
Summing it all up: The Coal Drops Yard is increasingly looking like the place to be with Casa & Plaza Pastor arriving, courtesy of the ever-expanding Harts Group empire. Expect tacos and more Mexican food from the people who brought you El Pastor.
The Harts Group - the trio behind Barrafina, Quo Vadis and El Pastor - have definitely taken a shine to the new Coal Drops Yard development in King’s Cross. Not content with delivering the area a very special edition of Barrafina, they also announced that they’d be trying their hand at a wine bar, The Drop.
We’ve now managed to grab a few more details about a new El Pastor they’ll be opening in the development, called Casa & Plaza Pastor. It’ll be the third spot Borough's El Pastor, which opened its sister restaurant just down the road on Druid Street, Tortilleria El Pastor, in spring 2018.
First up - Casa Pastor...
- Casa Pastor will be serving Mexican breakfast. So that includes Huevos rancheros and Chilaquiles (lightly fried corn tortillas in green or red salsa, served with refried beans, avocado and crème fraiche) as well as Mexican breakfast pastries and a range of fresh juices, agua frescas, horchata and Bloody Marias.
- There will be oysters with worm salt and mezcal! They're part of the Baja California influenced Mariscos part of the menu. Also featured are cherrystone clams with lime and the new Vuelve a la Vida (translates as ‘return to life’) mixed seafood coctel.
- And even more tostadas, including a new Apache tostada - with raw chopped steak and a vegan Coconut ceviche tostada, with a citrus marinade, fresh serrano chilli, avocado and radish.
- There will be some new larger taco dishes to share too. They include lamb barbacoa served with its own consommé and Merluza (hake) Pastor. And other tacos include the new soft-shell crab taco.
Next - Plaza Pastor...
- Plaza Pastor will be a 100-seater covered and heated outdoor dining terrace just outside Casa Pastor - with its own open kitchen. AND with its own menu.
- There will be rotisserie spit-roasted spiced chickens. They'll be served as quarters, halves or whole with tortillas, salsas and chicken fat roasted onions, and refried beans, slaw and chiccharon de pollo available as sides.
- Plus tortas buns. These will be filled meat or veg from the robata grill, including: ‘Green pork belly’; Chile relleno capeado and ‘Torta Kennedy,’. That last one is "a recipe passed from Diana Kennedy, the eminent authority on Mexican cooking, to Crispin on a recent trip to Mexico, including brawn, escabeche, tomato, Chihuahua cheese and crème fraiche".
- And the cocktail list will feature plenty of mezcal. Plus sharing cocktails - including the Jalisco Spritz (El Jimador Blanco, Cocchi Rosa, Hibiscus Syrup, Prosecco).
All that and expect live music and DJs too - as well as their own batch mezcal...
Photo by Sam Ashton
More about Casa and Plaza Pastor
Where is it? Coal Drops Yard, Stable Street, London N1C 4AB
When does it open? 26 October 2018
Subscribe to be the first to get the news from Hot Dinners